Goat cheese is key to keeping the burgers moist and juicy. Stuff the usual turkey burgers with herbed goat cheese for a wonderful surprise!
Yield: 5 burgers
1 1/2 pounds lean ground turkey
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon dried rosemary
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon crushed black pepper
1 teaspoon dried red chilli flakes
5 tablespoons soft fresh goat cheese
5 hamburger buns, or whole wheat toast
handful of greens of your choice (iceberg lettuce, arugula, spinach)
For lemon mustard sauce:
1 tablespoon yellow mustard
1 teaspoon lemon flavored olive oil (can use olive oil with 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice)
1 tablespoon orange juice
crushed black pepper to taste
- Combine ground turkey, lemon juice and zest, egg, dried herbs, and salt and pepper in a large bowl. Mix well with your hands or a fork.
- Divide turkey mixture into 10 equal portions. Form the portions into 3 inch diameter patties.
- Place 1 tablespoon soft goat cheese atop 1 turkey patty and place the second patty on top of the cheese.
- Seal the patties at the edges. Repeat with the rest of the turkey portions.
- If making ahead of time, cover and refrigerate.
- Prepare grill with medium-high heat. Spray with cooking spray to avoid burgers sticking on grill.
- Grill burgers until cooked, about 5 minutes per side. Cheese will ooze from the side, and that's perfectly normal.
- To prepare the sauce, mix the mustard, orange juice, lemon olive oil, and black pepper in a small bowl.
- Grill buns, or bread slices, until lightly toasted.
- Spread mustard sauce on bottom slice. Top with turkey burger and greens, and serve. Enjoy!