Nothing better than taking hearty mushrooms and topping them with homemade tomato sauce, spinach and onions, and creamy goat cheese. Grill and bake these portobello babies, and you're definitely on your way to a crowd pleaser... or even for date night.. or even for a simple, flavorful, satisfying meal.
1-2 tomatoes (optional)
1/2 cup chopped/pureed tomatoes
1 garlic clove, finely minced
1 tablespoon dried basil
1 onion, finely sliced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup baby spinach
1 teaspoon dried oregano
4 large portobello mushrooms
salt and fresh black pepper
2 ounces soft goat cheese
- For the tomato sauce, puree the fresh or canned tomatoes until smooth.
- In a medium saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the minced garlic, stirring continuously for 30 seconds, and make sure garlic does not brown.
- Add the pureed tomatoes, and bring to a low simmer. Cover and simmer sauce for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- For the spinach, heat the oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add the sliced onions and cook until translucent.
- Add the spinach and sauté until spinach is wilted. Season with salt and pepper, and keep aside.
- Preheat the grill.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Trim the stem from all of the portobello mushrooms.
- Drizzle both side with olive oil, and season with salt and fresh black pepper
- Cook mushrooms over a hot fire for about 3 minutes on each side. Mushrooms will give off a lot of liquid, and that is okay.
- Top the mushrooms with large spoonfuls of the tomato sauce, and then the spinach and onion mixture. Distribute evenly among the mushrooms.
- Slice goat cheese into 1/2 inch thick slices. Place slices on cheese atop the spinach mixture.
- Bake for 10 minutes, or until heated through and goat cheese is beginning to soften.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!